St. Nicholas Church, Forest Hill with Shotover
The earliest record of the Parish is in the Domesday Book of 1087. In 1129 the Church building was originally a quiet retreat for the Monks from Osney Abbey in Oxford. It became the Parish Church in 1273 and was dedicated to St. Nicolas. The roof of the nave is dated 1630 and the two bells, a tenor and a treble, are dated 1652. The sanctus bell is dated 1852. The North aisle was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott in the same year and built by George Wyatt of Oxford.
In 2004 a new vestry was added on the north side, providing valuable extra space, on-tap water supply, a sink and a disabled toilet. The church seats about 100 people, but always feels intimate and comfortable even with only a few.
Covid-19 restrictions mean that we are unable to open St Nicolas on a daily basis. At present, the church is open for individual prayer on Wednesdays and Sundays from 11am - 4pm.